Interview with Niko
1. To kick things off, I would like to thank you for allowing me into the depths of Misery Inc. Okay, so I'm not going to ask you all to explain yourselves as most interviewers may ask you guys at the start of an interview. But, out of the metal genre, would you guys say that you're own of your favourite bands?
-If we are our own favourites? We love the stuff we are performing, but it's impossible to put yourself on the same line with everybody else. If some other band would have done Random End I think I would still like it very much. If I could see our show I think I would still enjoy it.
2. From the album, "Random End", are there any songs off of it that have any significant meaning for you?
-We don't perform all of the random end songs on stage so that's why I feel some of the songs closer to me than the others. But the lyrics are mainly written by Janne and they are his own landscape. I wouldn't say Cyanide has any particular meaning for me, but it's my favourite.
3. Also, regarding Random End, are you guys planning on coming out with any other music videos? And if so; when can we expect a new one?
-The most important thing for us now is to get a decent recording deal and put an album out as soon as possible. Jani who organized, arranged, directed and did everything else with the fallen rage video is very eager to shoot again. We are definitely not shooting a new video for a random end song.
4. Niko, you have a really amazing voice, it's actually one of the best I've heard in a long time, to be honest. Unlike other musicians I've heard this year, you put a lot of emotion into the songs you sing. But what I would like to know is if you have had any vocal lessons, or did you self train yourself?
-I'm flattered. I know lots of better singers but I'm glad you liked my effort. I've learned by listening and singing by myself. But I have been singing all my life. I'm not trying to put much emotion into it. It just is what it is. If you're trying too much it can sound ridiculous.
5. Have you ever had people come up to you and tell you how you remind them of a band who is totally different from what you guys sound like?
-No. Did you have some band in mind? That would be fun. I've heard dozens of comparisons.
6. Do any of you guys have any tattoos and or piercings? If so; where and why did you get 'em done?
-Joonas, Jules and Aki have lots of tattoos. Janne has some but Teemu and myself don't have any. Their pictures are done mostly by people they know. They usually say they are marks of different phases in their lives but...you know. I think I'm just too critical for tattoos. Something that looks awesome now can be ******* ridiculous in the future and I couldn't live with some teen cliché on my forehead.
7. What are your opinions on the metal scene; do you think it's getting older or younger?
-It's getting wider. There are some middle aged fans and band members. On the other hand there are some very young and talented guys. I think that the material could be wider as well. The scene is developing.
8. What has been the biggest obstacle you've had to overcome in Misery Inc?
-Nothing big hasn't shown up yet. We live quite far from each other so we don't have get togethers and rehersals often. Or is it really bad at all..?
9. If you could give shape to the flame that burns within you, what shape would it take?
-I've never thought I had a flame within. Let's say a round shape. It doesn't turn back on anything. I am a singer. Good or awful. I'm a singer even if I didn't have a band.
Something is just driving me. Making me do the things I do.
10. What kind of message are you hoping to give out to all your fans, young and old?
- Explore and study the world. Don't be afraid to say what you think. We don't have an official policy but this is what I think.
11. Alright, final question, and I really want you to take me home with this one. Is there anything you would like to share with all your lady fans?
-I think our fans are mostly men but I don't consider our fans as men or women. I think they all are just people who know good music. I really can't answer anything else. Sorry.
Thank you for these unusual questions
Thank you for taking this Finnish Men In Music interview. All the best of luck with you and your music. Cheers!
- TARJA TURUNEN: Daughter Naomi Can Be Heard On New Album
- APOCALYPTICA Announce Tour With Classical Orchestra
- TARJA - Colours In The Dark Album Artwork Revealed
- NIGHTWISH - Imaginaerum Movie Box With Jigsaw Up For Pre-Order; Limited To 250 Pieces
- HIM - Monster Energy's Rock Allegiance Tour Dates With VOLBEAT, AIRBOURNE, ALL THAT REMAINS Announced
- CHILDREN OF BODOM Premier New Album's Title Track Online
- ENSIFERUM's Markus Toivonen - 'My Hearing Is Better Now...'; Band Back On The Road This Weekend
- OMNIUM GATHERUM Announce European Tour
- DAMNATION PLAN Release Video 'Ashes'
- BATTLE BEAST Streaming New Album In Full