LORDI Aim To Produce New Album By Late 2008
10.04.2007 | Source: Bravewords.com
Reuters (www.reuters.com) has issued the following report from Sami Torma:
Monster rockers LORDI, who conquered their native Finland before storming Europe, now take on Asia and North America with a new tour.
The band, which performs over-the-top, horror-show theatrics and pyrotechnic-fuelled rock, was due to kick off in Japan with a concert on Monday and goes to the United States on April 20.
They return to Helsinki to perform at the 2007 Eurovision Song Contest a year after their shock victory in the annual competition set them on a path to regional stardom.
Lordi then return to complete the US tour in July and August and have also begun making a horror movie.
"I counted that last year I spent more time in a mask than without it," bandleader Mr. Lordi said in a recent interview.
He told Reuters the group - whose members dress in armour and ghoulish skeleton and zombie masks - has seen its fan base grow worldwide, particularly through the Internet, and that it was a personal ambition to crack the key US market.
But he added that Lordi would not go to America with trumpets blazing: "Easy does it. I do not think it is very different to Europe. It is about overcoming prejudices."
"We are a strange bird, as we do not play metal music per se - although many want to label us that way. We play more like retro 1980s rock," said Mr. Lordi, whose real name is Tomi Putaansuu.
"If you catch the drift, it takes you one second to get hooked. If it is not instant, it is likely you will never get it."
Lordi says the original inspiration for its gory costumes and lyric music came from the American rock group KISS. Critics say it is too soft for hard rock and metal fans, with songs like 'Would You Love A Monsterman' and 'Night Of The Loving Dead'.
Lordi's strongest European success has been in its Finnish homeland, but the band has also done well in Sweden and Germany.
With their monster appeal, Lordi has begun filming a horror movie, set for release before Christmas.
"It will be a full-blooded horror flick, where our characters bluntly butcher people," said Mr. Lordi, who refuses to appear in public out of costume. "It will not be for kids."
After the film and tour that also takes in Canada, Mr. Lordi intends to keep fans happy and is composing new songs with the aim of producing a new album by late 2008.
Lordi sold more than 300,000 copies of its Arockalypse album, which includes the Eurovision-winning 'Hard Rock Hallelujah'. It was released in North America ahead of the tour.
Mr. Lordi recorded his first demo back in 1993, but it was not until 2000 that the band found its current shape. It got its first record deal in 2001 and has so far made three albums.
The big breakthrough came with the 2006 Eurovision Song Contest, an event that is often laughed off by critics as tacky and kitsch yet boasts a television audience of tens of millions each year.
"The big success came through and what opened the doors, putting our rock band career on fast forward, was a surprise. We were not expecting it to come through Eurovision," Mr Lordi said.
Latest Lordi news
- LORDI Frontman Featured In New Video Interview - 'There's Lots Of Repairing And Repainting With These Costumes' (10.05.13)
- LORDI Frontman Discusses His KISS Roots In New Video Interview (29.04.13)
- LORDI Mainman Talks To Germanys MetalTrails.com: Video (08.04.13)
- LORDI - To Beast Or Not To Beast Enters European Charts (15.03.13)
- LORDI Update Tour Schedule (04.03.13)
- LORDI - Making Of 'The Riff' Video Footage Posted (27.02.13)
- LORDI New Video Interview Posted Online (22.02.13)
- LORDI To Perform At Eurosong 2013 (18.02.13)
- LORDI - Lyric Video For 'The Riff' Posted (08.02.13)
- LORDI - To Beast Or Not To Beast North American Release Confirmed; Album Artwork, Tracklisting Revealed (14.01.13)
Most popular from Lordi
- LORDI: New costumes revealed. Picture available! (28.08.08) (11 comments)
- LORDI: New Single Available For Free Download (04.01.08)
- LORDI Aim To Produce New Album By Late 2008 (10.04.07)
- LORDI Teams Up With UGO.com To Present 'Lordi HeroMachine' (05.02.09) (2 comments)
- LORDI: More 'Beast Loose In Paradise' Single Details Revealed (07.12.07)
- LORDI: New Album Release Date Announced (19.06.08)
- LORDI Guitarist Says GWAR 'Must Be Distant Family Members For Us' (20.08.07)
- LORDI Manager, Bodyguard Shot At Following Louisville Concert (31.10.07)
- LORDI Film Dark Floors Premiering Tonight In Oulu, Finland (06.02.08)
- LORDI Mourns Drummer's Death (15.02.12)