NIGHTWISH Singer: 'Dark Passion Play' Is Heaviest Album Band Has Ever Done
24.08.2007 | Source: Blabbermouth.net
Vassil Varbanov of Bulgaria's Tangra Mega Rock recently conducted an interview with NIGHTWISH singer Anette Olzon. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:
Tangra Mega Rock: Well, it's good to have you live with us today, so let's start. Even before you joined NIGHTWISH, it was an extremely successful band with a charismatic female singer. Do you feel any pressure?
Anette Olzon: I try not to when it comes to the fact that I'm replacing Tarja, otherwise I'd be very nervous, because she's a good singer. I feel pressure on myself, because I'm a perfectionist and I wanna do my best for the fans and not let them down.
Tangra Mega Rock: Were you a NIGHTWISH fan before joining them?
Anette Olzon: No. I hadn't listened to NIGHTWISH that much. I had heard their name many times, because I fancy the metal industry, but the first time I actually listened to them was just a couple of months before everything with Tarja happened. I think this is a good thing, because now I can work with the band with clear eyes. I think the pressure upon me would have been bigger if I knew their whole history.
Tangra Mega Rock: Can we say that today you've already become friends with the guys?
Anette Olzon: I'd like to say that I am, and I hope the guys feel the same. Of course, it takes some more time to become really good friends.
Tangra Mega Rock: Obviously, you cannot escape from the comparisons between you and Tarja. Where are your strongest points, according to you?
Anette Olzon: I have a really high-pitched rock voice. I can sing very high with my natural voice, which is very powerful. I can also sing very emotionally, following the feelings of Tuomas' lyrics. I really try to give the listeners everything they want.
Tangra Mega Rock: I'm sure that through the years you've been listening to a lot of vocal performers. Who are your idols, if any?
Anette Olzon: I don't have any idols at the moment, but I used to have when I was younger. I listened a lot to Celine Dion — I think she's the ultimate female singer. And if I have to name a female singer from the contemporary metal scene, I'd say Simone Simons of EPICA and Sharon den Adel of WITHIN TEMPTATION.
Tangra Mega Rock: Let's focus on NIGHTWISH now. So far we've heard just two songs recorded with you — "Eva" and "Amaranth". Both are quite different from each other, so what should we expect from the full-length album, "Dark Passion Play"? Does it sound closer to the first or to the second single?
Anette Olzon: "Eva" is very, very far away from what the album is like. I think it's the softest song ever done by NIGHTWISH. As for "Dark Passion Play", I think this is the heaviest album NIGHTWISH have ever done. Of course, there are songs like "Amaranth" that are a bit more easy listening and radio-friendly. As a whole, it's a big mixture, yet a heavy album.
Tangra Mega Rock: What's the atmosphere within NIGHTWISH now?
Anette Olzon: Well, it's hard for me to tell how the other guys feel, but when we meet and rehearse I feel there's some confidence and that they trust me. I think after all that happened, now they can finally leave everything behind and concentrate on music again.
The entire interview is available in text and audio format at this location.
Latest Nightwish news
- NIGHTWISH - Imaginaerum Movie Box With Jigsaw Up For Pre-Order; Limited To 250 Pieces (18.05.13)
- NIGHTWISH Confirmed For Belgium's Alcatraz Metal Festival (10.05.13)
- NIGHTWISH - Imaginaerum Wine Reviewed By UK's WineandRoll (02.05.13)
- NIGHTWISH Confirmed For Lebanon's Byblos International Festival (29.04.13)
- NIGHTWISH: Tuomas Holopainen talks about literature (03.04.13)
- NIGHTWISH - Imaginaerum DVDBlu-Ray Now Available For Pre-Order (22.03.13)
- NIGHTWISH - German Imaginaerum Trailer Online (14.03.13)
- NIGHTWISH Confirmed For Switzerland´s Greenfield Festival (13.03.13)
- NIGHTWISH Confirm Japanese Tour (07.03.13)
- NIGHTWISH Take Home Two Emma Awards; Video Available (02.03.13)
Most popular from Nightwish
- NIGHTWISH Presented With Gold Awards In Austria (03.03.08)
- NIGHTWISH: Tuomas and Anette in Kerrang "We made a mistake with the tourschedule" (30.06.09) (518 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Singer ANETTE OLZON Explains Decision To Hire Personal Manager (16.01.09) (31 comments)
- NIGHTWISH: Anette Olzon is the new vocalist. (24.05.07)
- NIGHTWISH: Anette´s pregnancy doesn´t change anything in the band (04.03.10) (334 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Founder TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN - "Dark Passion Play Is The Album That Saved My Life" (27.08.07)
- NIGHTWISH Performs 'Secret' Gig In Estonia; Photos, Setlist, Video Footage Available (23.09.07)
- NIGHTWISH Singer Walks Off Stage In Belo Horizonte; Concert Cut Short (11.11.08) (47 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Singer Defends Her Decision To Work On Solo Album (29.08.09) (648 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Kicks Off European Tour; Setlist Revealed (12.03.09) (20 comments)