NIGHTWISH Singer: 'I Think I've Done A Hell Of A Job In This Band'
20.12.2008 | Source: Blabbermouth.net
U.K.'s Kerrang! magazine conducted a short interview with NIGHTWISH singer Anette Olzon for its "Xmas Rocks" issue, available on newsstands now. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.
Kerrang!: 2008 – rock or suck fest?
Anette: "It's been a mix of both. I've enjoyed seeing so many different parts of the world and experiencing different cultures; and playing shows in South America was a dream come true. But, of course, touring can be quite hard on you, and I'm still the newest addition to a group of people, and that will always bring some conflicts. It takes some getting used to the business of being in a band this size. I was sick a lot and the lowest points of my year were when I had to miss some shows, which always really upsets me because I hate letting people down. I had to have a lot of shots in my ass, even right before we played Rock Am Ring I needed to get one just so I could perform. But I think doing any job should have both its positive and negative parts."
Kerrang!: When did you most feel like a rock star?
Anette: "When we were in Sao Paulo, Brazil, we got the police to take us between the hotel and venue. We were going really fast between the four lanes of traffic and being thrown about in the car with the sirens blaring. It felt kinda awkward and I remember thinking, 'You know, maybe I'm quite a big rock star now, and I'm not entirely sure if I like that or if that's a bit weird!'"
Kerrang!: So have you had to pinch yourself a lot this year?
Anette: "That happens a lot! Sometimes I get overwhelmed by all the fans. When they meet me and they're so nervous that they're shaking or crying, I'm like, 'Hey, it's only me!' It's so har to see yourself as this person that people adore and look up to."
Kerrang!: What are you most proud of?
Anette: "I'm really proud of myself in that I think I've done a hell of a job in this band. I've proven to myself and other people how strong I am, and that I can be at the lowest point and still get up there and do it over and over again. I feel that I've learned to be strong."
Kerrang!: Who was your hero of the year?
Anette: "There were many people who inspired me this year, but, of course, it was such a big thing that [Barack] Obama won the election to be the new President of the United States. I think he's really a hero because I think he knows that there are a lot of people who will really want to wipe him off the face of the Earth. He's a humanist and things will definitely be changing now. He can really make a difference to the world, and I hope he does."
For more information, visit www.kerrang.com.
Latest Nightwish news
- NIGHTWISH Announce 24-Hour Cruise From Finland In June 2015 (30.09.14)
- NIGHTWISH Announces North American Tour (24.09.14)
- NIGHTWISH - First Show Of 2015 World Tour Announced For Los Angeles; VIP And Meet and Greet Tickets On Sale Starting Today (10.09.14)
- NIGHTWISH Check In From The Studio - 'All Rhythm And Lead Guitars Are Now Recorded' (09.09.14)
- NIGHTWISH - Marco Hietala Completes Bass Recordings For New Album (02.09.14)
- NIGHTWISH Launch Series Of Imaginaerum World Tour Videos; 'Planet Hell' Clip Streaming (12.08.14)
- NIGHTWISH Drummer Forced To Take Break Due To Health Issues; Replacement Announced (07.08.14)
- NIGHTWISH - Second Making-Of Album Trailer Streaming (01.08.14)
- NIGHTWISH?s TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN Offers Album Update ? ?We Now Have A Total Of 12 Songs To Work With? (18.05.14)
- TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN - The Life And Times Of Scrooge Charts Worldwide (24.04.14)
Most popular from Nightwish
- NIGHTWISH: Anette Olzon is the new vocalist. (24.05.07)
- NIGHTWISH Presented With Gold Awards In Austria (03.03.08)
- NIGHTWISH: Tuomas and Anette in Kerrang "We made a mistake with the tourschedule" (30.06.09) (518 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Singer ANETTE OLZON Explains Decision To Hire Personal Manager (16.01.09) (31 comments)
- NIGHTWISH: Gaming Soundtrack Appearance Scheduled - "The Witcher" (07.09.07)
- NIGHTWISH Founder TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN - "Dark Passion Play Is The Album That Saved My Life" (27.08.07)
- NIGHTWISH: Anette´s pregnancy doesn´t change anything in the band (04.03.10) (334 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Singer Walks Off Stage In Belo Horizonte; Concert Cut Short (11.11.08) (47 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Performs 'Secret' Gig In Estonia; Photos, Setlist, Video Footage Available (23.09.07)
- NIGHTWISH Singer Defends Her Decision To Work On Solo Album (29.08.09) (648 comments)