NIGHTWISH Mainman Honored With This Year's SOUNDI AWARD
18.02.2009 | Source: Blabbermouth.net
Tuomas Holopainen has been chosen as the recipient of the 2009 Soundi Award. The leader, songwriter, and keyboardist of NIGHTWISH is an inspiring example of a musician possessing clear vision, proper musical education, and stamina.
After founding NIGHTWISH in his native town of Kitee in 1996, Holopainen has kept his eyes on the horizon while steering the team through both calm and stormy waters. So far the legacy extends to six studio albums and hundreds of shows all over the world.
The major breakthrough presaged by the band's fifth disc, "Once", was achieved with "Dark Passion Play", released in September 2007. Presently, NIGHTWISH's sixth album has sold in excess of 900,000 copies worldwide, of which a good 10 percent has come from the United States. In its native Finland, "Dark Passion Play" has shifted a staggering 130,000 copies — more than any other album so far during the 21st century.
All these commercial achievements and the album's overwhelming critical success aside, Tuomas Holopainen still believes that content is king. He is happy to receive accolades such as the Soundi Award, but still emphasizes the importance of total artistic freedom:
"I find solace in the fact that nothing else matters if one is able to make music that comes straight from the heart," Holopainen muses. "This is the main lesson I learned from the success of 'Dark Passion Play'."
The captain of NIGHTWISH wishes to tip his hat to open-minded music fans all over.
"It is a relief to see that our decision to stay far away from anything even resembling calculating can lead to something like this. And especially this award! An extraordinary bust; It makes you humble, proud and bursting with laughter all at the same time!"
The Soundi Award is a statue designed by journalist-comic book artist-tattoo artist-Soundi mainstay Juho Juntunen. Tuomas Holopainen is the fifth-ever recipient of the award and he was chosen by a jury of Soundi writers.
Published monthly, Soundi is the leading rock publication in Finland.
Photo credit: Satu Nyström/Soundi
Latest Nightwish news
- NIGHTWISH - Sixth Showtime, Storytime Video Trailer Streaming (09.12.13)
- NIGHTWISH - Tuomas Holopainen Discusses His Top Three Musical Influences; Video Streaming (05.12.13)
- NIGHTWISH Vocalist Floor Jansen Featured In New Video Interview (04.12.13)
- NIGHTWISH Present New Tablet FanPOD Application Including Unreleased Live Recordings; Video Teaser Streaming (21.11.13)
- Monsters Of Metal Volume 9 DVDBlu-Ray Coming In January With Tracks From NIGHTWISH, AMORPHIS And More; Trailer Streaming (21.11.13)
- NIGHTWISH - 'Ghost Love Score' Live Clip From Showtime, Storytime Streaming (15.11.13)
- NIGHTWISH Keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen And Author Don Rosa Discuss The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck Project; Video Online (08.11.13)
- NIGHTWISH Keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen 'Hangin' With Scrooge McDuck (28.10.13)
- NIGHTWISH - Tuomas Holopainen Talks New Line-Up In Showtime, Storytime Trailer #2 (25.10.13)
- NIGHWISH Singer Floor Jansen Recalls Metal Female Voices Fest 2013 - 'Only Music And Happiness' (23.10.13)
Most popular from Nightwish
- NIGHTWISH Presented With Gold Awards In Austria (03.03.08)
- NIGHTWISH: Anette Olzon is the new vocalist. (24.05.07)
- NIGHTWISH: Tuomas and Anette in Kerrang "We made a mistake with the tourschedule" (30.06.09) (518 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Singer ANETTE OLZON Explains Decision To Hire Personal Manager (16.01.09) (31 comments)
- NIGHTWISH: Anette´s pregnancy doesn´t change anything in the band (04.03.10) (334 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Founder TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN - "Dark Passion Play Is The Album That Saved My Life" (27.08.07)
- NIGHTWISH Performs 'Secret' Gig In Estonia; Photos, Setlist, Video Footage Available (23.09.07)
- NIGHTWISH Singer Walks Off Stage In Belo Horizonte; Concert Cut Short (11.11.08) (47 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Singer Defends Her Decision To Work On Solo Album (29.08.09) (648 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Kicks Off European Tour; Setlist Revealed (12.03.09) (20 comments)