MESHUGGAH Guitarist: To Call NIGHTWISH Metal Is 'A F**king Insult'
13.03.2009 | Source: Blabbermouth.net
MetalSucks' Vince Neilstein conducted an interview with guitarist Mårten Hagström of the Swedish experimental extreme metallers MESHUGGAH prior to the band's New York City show with CYNIC and THE FACELESS. An excerpt from the chat follows below.
MetalSucks: You guys came from Sweden with a lot of famous metal bands, at the same time as a lot of melodic death metal, which has sort of gone its own way now. How do you feel about that scene and those guys?
Hagström: I hate it. I totally loathe it. Listen, I have nothing against the guys in the bands. I have nothing against the bands. I'm happy for them. If they're doing well and if that's what they want to do then fucking, "Hey, good for you." If you're talking from my personal tastes, I prefer when bands play metal and not SLAUGHTER and pop music with fucking attributes of a metal band. You got two guys with distorted guitars and then you got two chicks singing and three keyboards and then they play "lalalala." It's not why I got into metal. It's not like I'm saying it can't be melodic. CYNIC is very melodic and still fucking awesome. There are a lot of bands that people appreciate a lot over here, like I said I'm happy for their success, but I do not care for their music at all. It's formula music. It's built the same way that pop music is. It's performed the same way pop music is with back tracks and everything. They're like, "Oh, we're so fucking bad-ass and we look so hard." Most bands from Sweden know what they're doing when they're playing. That's a great benefit. It might be music that I hate, but they can still pull it off, which is alright.
MetalSucks: It's good for all Swedish bands, I guess.
Hagström: I have nothing against it, but I would never listen to it. Having said that, there are a shitload of Swedish bands that I adore. THE HAUNTED is a great fucking band. ENTOMBED is a great fucking band. There is a lot of cool fucking shit around. A lot of the stuff that does well in Europe doesn't necessarily do well over here. It's like NIGHTWISH, they're from Finland; to call that metal is a fucking insult. It's probably good music, but it's not fucking metal. No way. I told Markus, on our label Nuclear Blast (because they're on it), "I know you're making a shitload of money, but you're making fools of yourself." He's like "I know". He's like that.
MetalSucks: At least they know what they're doing.
Hagström: Oh, they know what they're doing. They got it down. That's why they're doing well. Nuclear Blast is doing great.
MetalSucks: Yeah, they put out a lot of good stuff.
Hagström: They do. No doubt. It's not the melodic parts that are the problem. I love a lot of melodic stuff. If you listen to MR. BUNGLE, it's melodic all the way through, but it's great shit. I just want some thrill and excitement, something that makes me go, "Oh, these guys have an original idea."
Read the entire interview at MetalSucks.
Latest Nightwish news
- NIGHTWISH - Tuomas Holopainen Discusses His Top Three Musical Influences; Video Streaming (05.12.13)
- NIGHTWISH Vocalist Floor Jansen Featured In New Video Interview (04.12.13)
- NIGHTWISH Present New Tablet FanPOD Application Including Unreleased Live Recordings; Video Teaser Streaming (21.11.13)
- Monsters Of Metal Volume 9 DVDBlu-Ray Coming In January With Tracks From NIGHTWISH, AMORPHIS And More; Trailer Streaming (21.11.13)
- NIGHTWISH - 'Ghost Love Score' Live Clip From Showtime, Storytime Streaming (15.11.13)
- NIGHTWISH Keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen And Author Don Rosa Discuss The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck Project; Video Online (08.11.13)
- NIGHTWISH Keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen 'Hangin' With Scrooge McDuck (28.10.13)
- NIGHTWISH - Tuomas Holopainen Talks New Line-Up In Showtime, Storytime Trailer #2 (25.10.13)
- NIGHWISH Singer Floor Jansen Recalls Metal Female Voices Fest 2013 - 'Only Music And Happiness' (23.10.13)
- NIGHTWISH‚??s Tuomas Holopainen Posts Scrooge Update ‚?? ‚??Superbly Exciting Times‚?? (20.10.13)
Most popular from Nightwish
- NIGHTWISH Presented With Gold Awards In Austria (03.03.08)
- NIGHTWISH: Anette Olzon is the new vocalist. (24.05.07)
- NIGHTWISH: Tuomas and Anette in Kerrang "We made a mistake with the tourschedule" (30.06.09) (518 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Singer ANETTE OLZON Explains Decision To Hire Personal Manager (16.01.09) (31 comments)
- NIGHTWISH: Anetteīs pregnancy doesnīt change anything in the band (04.03.10) (334 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Founder TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN - "Dark Passion Play Is The Album That Saved My Life" (27.08.07)
- NIGHTWISH Performs 'Secret' Gig In Estonia; Photos, Setlist, Video Footage Available (23.09.07)
- NIGHTWISH Singer Walks Off Stage In Belo Horizonte; Concert Cut Short (11.11.08) (47 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Singer Defends Her Decision To Work On Solo Album (29.08.09) (648 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Kicks Off European Tour; Setlist Revealed (12.03.09) (20 comments)