NIGHTWISH 'Imaginaerum' Movie Director Issues Update
28.09.2011 | Source: Blabbermouth.net
Finnish/Swedish symphonic metallers NIGHTWISH recently spent time not only putting finishing touches to their new album, "Imaginaerum", but also planning a movie of the same name.
"Imaginaerum" is one of the projects which recently received grants from the Finnish government institution called the Finnish Film Foundation. The movie, directed by Stobe Harju, about an old man on his deathbed who glimpses a childhood dream in which he refuses to grow old, and fights aging with his imagination, will get $575,000 toward its $3.7 million budget.
During a September 8 interview with Petri Silas of Finland's Soundi magazine, NIGHTWISH mainman/keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen revealed that all the filming for the "Imaginaerum" movie will be done in Canada with mostly Canadian actors/actresses. Post-production will take place in Canada and Finland. He aso revealed the names of the actors who have two of the main roles in the film: Marianne Farley and Quinn Lord.
Stobe Harju has issued the following update on the "Imaginaerum" film:
"Two weeks have passed since the first day of shooting. It has been a triumph so far. Even as the band sat down to look at some raw pre-edited scenes, their faces couldn't lie. They were very happy with what they saw.
"Many of you must be dying for information and images from the set. We can't pour all that out since we really believe that some of the reveals would spoil the show. However, if you've read the previous update you know some of the character names already, which of at least Tom and Ann sound familiar to a many. And they should sound familiar.
"As I started to write 'Imaginaerum' screenplay, I planted one single parameter above everything else: This is a NIGHTWISH film, no matter how fictional story about the band it would be. I didn't just wanted to use the band's name but also, to come up with character names resembling NIGHTWISH members' names. The band in Imaginaerum became Ann, Tom, Marcus, Emil and Jack. I know, not very clever when it comes to molding names. Yet, I wanted the audience to feel the presence of NIGHTWISH and to me the convergence had to be clear. I had endless battles trying to convince people that using names similar to Anette, Tuomas, Marco, Emppu and Jukka was a perfect bridge between NIGHTWISH in reality and NIGHTWISH in a fantasy world. The band didn't agree with me originally. It became my decision and my responsibility I am proud of. That said, if someone ever thinks this might be an ego thing for the band, think again. It's my decision completely, and that's how I intend to keep it.
"These first two weeks have been a blast. So many great people have bled together with us pouring their fantastic creativity into the project. We have a fantastic art director and her team. Our director of photography couldn't be more dedicated to his line of work or his visuality. Our make-up and wardrobe departments have made magic in a short period of time. And the cast... wow! The whole crew is filled with professionals I could've only dreamt of when starting the project. And, our producers are the kind who really understand the drama, art and the story while keeping our budget safe and sound. I must be the luckiest director in the world. What more can I say.
"What strikes me the most, is the fact that this project is not only titled as 'the trip to one's imagination,' but it is exactly that on every aspect of the game with all the beloved people involved."
Several photos from the "Imaginaerum" movie shoot can be found at this location. A couple of the pictures are also available below.
The "Imaginaerum" album will be released in the U.S. on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 via Roadrunner Records; in Finland on Wednesday, November 30 and the rest of Europe on Friday, December 2 via Nuclear Blast Records.
NIGHTWISH's new single, "Storytime", will be released on Friday, November 11 via Nuclear Blast Records.
NIGHTWISH will kick off the "Imaginaerum" world tour in Los Angeles. The very first show of the trek will take place at the Gibson Amphitheatre in Universal City, California on Saturday, January 21. This will be the biggest NIGHTWISH show production ever on North American soil and strictly a one-off — there will be no U.S. tour until later in 2012.
Latest Nightwish news
- NIGHTWISH - Imaginaerum Movie Box With Jigsaw Up For Pre-Order; Limited To 250 Pieces (18.05.13)
- NIGHTWISH Confirmed For Belgium's Alcatraz Metal Festival (10.05.13)
- NIGHTWISH - Imaginaerum Wine Reviewed By UK's WineandRoll (02.05.13)
- NIGHTWISH Confirmed For Lebanon's Byblos International Festival (29.04.13)
- NIGHTWISH: Tuomas Holopainen talks about literature (03.04.13)
- NIGHTWISH - Imaginaerum DVDBlu-Ray Now Available For Pre-Order (22.03.13)
- NIGHTWISH - German Imaginaerum Trailer Online (14.03.13)
- NIGHTWISH Confirmed For Switzerland´s Greenfield Festival (13.03.13)
- NIGHTWISH Confirm Japanese Tour (07.03.13)
- NIGHTWISH Take Home Two Emma Awards; Video Available (02.03.13)
Most popular from Nightwish
- NIGHTWISH Presented With Gold Awards In Austria (03.03.08)
- NIGHTWISH: Tuomas and Anette in Kerrang "We made a mistake with the tourschedule" (30.06.09) (518 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Singer ANETTE OLZON Explains Decision To Hire Personal Manager (16.01.09) (31 comments)
- NIGHTWISH: Anette Olzon is the new vocalist. (24.05.07)
- NIGHTWISH: Anette´s pregnancy doesn´t change anything in the band (04.03.10) (334 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Founder TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN - "Dark Passion Play Is The Album That Saved My Life" (27.08.07)
- NIGHTWISH Performs 'Secret' Gig In Estonia; Photos, Setlist, Video Footage Available (23.09.07)
- NIGHTWISH Singer Walks Off Stage In Belo Horizonte; Concert Cut Short (11.11.08) (47 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Singer Defends Her Decision To Work On Solo Album (29.08.09) (648 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Kicks Off European Tour; Setlist Revealed (12.03.09) (20 comments)