NIGHTWISH's Tuomas Holopainen Discusses Imaginaerum; Video Interview Online
14.10.2011 | Source: bravewords.com
The interview can be seen below, while a Metal From Finland review of the event can be found here.
Nightwish recently announced that principal photography for their upcoming Imaginaerum film is finished. An update from director Stobe Harju can be found at this location.
Nuclear Blast Germany have unveiled a number of formats for Nightwish's upcoming
Imaginaerum Mail Order Edition: limited and numbered to 1000 copies, the boxset includes the double digipak, the one-track-single 'Rest Calm' in its demo version featuring Marco Hietala on vocals and the exclusive Imaginaerum mirror:
Imaginaerum Two-CD digi pack featuring instrumental version of the album as bonus CD:
Imaginaerum Marbled Vinyl: Strictly limited to 250 marbled 180g double gatefold LPs incl. a DIN A2 poster:
'Storytime' CD Single featuring 'Storytime' (radio edit), 'Storytime' (album version), 'Storytime' (instrumental version):
'Storytime' Single Clear, White and Dark Blue Vinyl: Strictly limited to 250 lush 10" gatefold mini albums. Featuring 'Storytime' (radio edit), 'Storytime' (album version), 'Storytime' (instrumental version):
For more details visit Nuclearblast.de.
Nightwish will release their new album, Imaginaerum on the following dates:
Finland - November 30th
Europe - December 2nd
Australia - January 6th
Japan - January 11th
New Zealand - January 16th
The album is the band's first since 2007's Dark Passion Play, which was then-new singer Anette Olzon's debut.
The band examined its catalog when sitting down to write what would become Imaginaerum. The songs for the album were written between 2008 and 2010, after the Dark Passion Play tour cycle ended. At that point, Nightwish knew they wanted to do something different, new and unique, which is exceptional for a band whose career has been defined by words like different, new and unique!
The band consciously wanted to do something so big, crossover, detailed, innovative and, well, "nuts," that it would leave the band, and hopefully the people experiencing it, completely awestruck. It would be a situation where fans and/or critics would either love it or hate it, but they'd be left awestruck nonetheless. That's when the band realized another dimension, namely video, was necessary for the project. Instead of a concept album, the band set the album to a film.
"The original idea I had was to film 13 short stories related to the songs with a connected storyline, shot by Stobe Harju," keyboardist/songwriter Tuomas Holopainen said. It was Harju's idea to turn the 13 stories and visions into more of a connected cinematic piece – essentially, a film. It would have a clear plot, script, dialogue and real actors in an ambitious effort to create something wholly unique.The film was shot in September of this year.
The movie is based on the album and its 13 tracks, honoring the original ideas, but having evolved radically from the initial plan.
Holopainen said," Still, it was important from the very beginning that the album would work as its own individual piece of art, as well. It is a thematic album about life itself, about imagination, love, goodness and beauty, with a touch of darkness and melancholy, which are strongly included in all of those things mentioned." As if we could expect anything less from Nightwish!
The band will have but a small part in the film. A 2012 premiere date is being eyed. Imaginaerum: an audiovisual testament of what Nightwish have always been about.
The track listing for Imaginaerum is as follows (note that track 12 is broken down into four parts):
'Slow, Love, Slow'
'I Want My Tears Back'
'Turn Loose The Mermaids'
'The Crow, The Owl And The Dove'
'Last Ride Of The Day'
'Song Of Myself'
Song 1: 'From A Dusty Bookshelf'
Song 2: 'All That Great Heart Lying Still'
Song 3: 'Piano Black'
Song 4: 'Love'
Nightwish will release their new single, 'Storytime', on Friday, November 11th. The single is available as a pre-sale as CD (digipak) and 10'' MLP (gatefold) versions.
Nightwish have announced the first European tour dates in support of Imaginaerum. Confirmed Nightwish live dates include:
21 - Gibson Amphitheater - Universal City, CA
23 - 70000 Tons Of Metal Cruise -The Caribbean
10 - Lisebergshallen - Göteborg, Sweden
11 - Falconer Theater - Copenhagen, Denmark
13 - Heineken Music Hall - Amsterdam, Netherlands
14 - ISS Dome - Düsseldorf, Germany
16 - Forest National - Brussels, Belgium
17 - Bercy - Paris, France
18 - Zenith - Nantes, France
20 - Halle Tony Garnier - Lyon, France
21 - Rockhal - Luxembourg, Luxembourg
23 - Jahrhunderthalle - Frankfurt, Germany
24 - Hallenstadion - Zurich, Switzerland
25 - Forum - Milano, Italy
27 - Gasometer - Vienna, Austria
29 - Budapest Arena - Budapest, Hungary
30 - Tesla (T-Mobile Arena) - Prague, Czech Republic
1 - Arena - Leipzig, Germany
3 - 02 World - Hamburg, Germany
5 - Arena - Nuremberg, Germany
6 - Schleyerhalle - Stuttgart, Germany
8 - Krizanke - Ljubljana, Slovenia
Latest Nightwish news
- NIGHTWISH - First Show Of 2015 World Tour Announced For Los Angeles; VIP And Meet and Greet Tickets On Sale Starting Today (10.09.14)
- NIGHTWISH Check In From The Studio - 'All Rhythm And Lead Guitars Are Now Recorded' (09.09.14)
- NIGHTWISH - Marco Hietala Completes Bass Recordings For New Album (02.09.14)
- NIGHTWISH Launch Series Of Imaginaerum World Tour Videos; 'Planet Hell' Clip Streaming (12.08.14)
- NIGHTWISH Drummer Forced To Take Break Due To Health Issues; Replacement Announced (07.08.14)
- NIGHTWISH - Second Making-Of Album Trailer Streaming (01.08.14)
- NIGHTWISH?s TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN Offers Album Update ? ?We Now Have A Total Of 12 Songs To Work With? (18.05.14)
- TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN - The Life And Times Of Scrooge Charts Worldwide (24.04.14)
- NIGHTWISH REVAMP Vocalist Floor Jansen - 'I Don?t Feel That I Need To Become A Songwriter In Nightwish' (17.04.14)
- TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN - 'The Last Sled' Lyric Video Released (13.04.14)
Most popular from Nightwish
- NIGHTWISH: Anette Olzon is the new vocalist. (24.05.07)
- NIGHTWISH Presented With Gold Awards In Austria (03.03.08)
- NIGHTWISH: Tuomas and Anette in Kerrang "We made a mistake with the tourschedule" (30.06.09) (518 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Singer ANETTE OLZON Explains Decision To Hire Personal Manager (16.01.09) (31 comments)
- NIGHTWISH: Gaming Soundtrack Appearance Scheduled - "The Witcher" (07.09.07)
- NIGHTWISH Founder TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN - "Dark Passion Play Is The Album That Saved My Life" (27.08.07)
- NIGHTWISH: Anette´s pregnancy doesn´t change anything in the band (04.03.10) (334 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Singer Walks Off Stage In Belo Horizonte; Concert Cut Short (11.11.08) (47 comments)
- NIGHTWISH Performs 'Secret' Gig In Estonia; Photos, Setlist, Video Footage Available (23.09.07)
- NIGHTWISH Singer Defends Her Decision To Work On Solo Album (29.08.09) (648 comments)