Guitarist TIMO TOLKKI - "About My Retirement From Music Business"
13.01.2012 | Source: bravewords.com
Guitarist Timo Tolkki (SYMFONIA/ex-STRATOVARIUS) has issued the following statement:
"As I am writing this on Friday (January 13th) morning sipping my coffee, many thoughts and feelings enter my mind. Ever since I published the blog about retiring from music business, many people have contacted me and asked me not to do so. That is why I decided to clarify some things and write some more about it.
First of all, if someone got the picture that I am blaming the fans about the current situation in music business, I am really sorry. That is not at all how I think. I cherish and thank each and everyone that have given me and my music the amazing support in good and bad times.
Secondly there have been some criticism about my decision, even some people have called me a coward. I know it is hard to understand what is really going on in the business at the moment. I mean globally in the whole world. Not just in your city. The signs have been there already about 10 years and of course this was expected. People don’t buy records anymore. Before you rush to say: 'but I do', let me tell you that I have a better vantage point to the whole music business globally to say this. There are reasons for me to act the way I do. This is not even about the quality of music in the vein of if I make bad records and people don’t want to buy them. It really is true that the records sales are down and are going down and more and more changes will happen and they will not be for the better. The remaining record companies are extremely careful what kind of bands and music they will sign and if they sign, they will control the music and the style very aggressively.This will result to a controlled and boring system musically and ultimately could even kill the music as a physical or digital format. In the times of BACH and BEETHOVEN there were no records. The music was only heard live. But also live music suffers from declining sales because people dont have the money to see all those 30 bands in a month that come to the city.
All this made me to think really hard about my future and the next 10-15 years. Having worked extensively in the last 20 years I simply think it is time to evaluate what it is that I have left to say. I always said that I will play as long as people want to listen. But one thing has dawned me in the last few months: it doesn’t matter to me if people want to listen to my music anymore. This means the ultimate freedom musically.
Another thing is that although I have written about retirement from music business. But I have’t written about retiring from music. I believe music is a gift. And this gift must be used. But sometimes it is not easy. I believe that my 22 years in Stratovarius and five CD’s I have released after that, the music seminars I have held all over the world, the productions and all that goes with it are a lot. How much can you give after you have given it all?
Anyway, I haven’t given up music. I look at the scene and understand that I have nothing to do with what used to be so important to me for example when I was 30 years old. I believe in evolution in music and musical career. Evolution as a whole. Not picking a random record and say: “that sucks”. The whole body of work. I think that every record I ever made, has its place in the discography of my life. As I grow older, soon being 46, I can envision my music evolving towards goals and themes that are closer to my soul than the music I wrote when I was 32. I don’t believe in singing about Legions of the Twilight when I am 50, but that’s just me. I think I have a lot of music developing in me but what kind of music it is, not even I know. The future will tell but I think you will hear from me still one day. My intuition is telling me this."
Latest Timo Tolkki news
- TIMO TOLKKI Talks The Land Of New Hope Album; Audio Interview Streaming (10.05.13)
- TIMO TOLKKI'S AVALON Release 'A World Without Us' Digital Single Featuring Vocals From ROB ROCK, ELIZE RYD, RUSSELL ALLEN (03.05.13)
- TIMO TOLKKI'S AVALON - The Land Of New Hope Limited 12' Double Gatefold Edition Announced (02.05.13)
- TIMO TOLKKI´S AVALON: ´Enshrined In My Memory´ Video Released (25.03.13)
- TIMO TOLKKI RETURNS WITH A STUNNING SYMPHONIC METAL OPERA ´THE LAND OF NEW HOPE´ (14.03.13)
- TIMO TOLKKI'S AVALON - Michael Kiske, Sharon Den Adel, Elize Ryd, Russell Allen Featured On The New Land Of Hope Metal Opera (26.02.13)
- TIMO TOLKKI Has Recorded A Song With AMARANTHE's Elize Ryd (22.01.13)
- TIMO TOLKKI In Praise Of New STRATOVARIUS Album - "I Am Actually Floored; These Are Really Cool Songs" (17.01.13)
- TIMO TOLKKI Opens Mixing Mastering Studio In Helsinki (10.01.13)
- TIMO TOLKKI - 'Credo Or Whatever It Will Be Called, Is Something I Hope I Can Release Some Day Or Maybe Even After I Have Died' (06.12.12)
Most popular from Timo Tolkki
- TIMO TOLKKI´s REVOLUTION RENAISSANCE: More Details Revealed (02.04.08)
- TIMO TOLKKI's 'Saana - Warrior Of Light Part 1': More Details Revealed (19.02.08)
- TIMO TOLKKI: Final statement concerning Stratovarius (21.05.08)
- TIMO TOLKKI: New song available with lyrics from RR album New Era (12.05.08)
- TIMO TOLKKI: REVOLUTION RENAISSANCE INTERVIEW AND SOUNDCLIPS (10.04.08)
- TIMO TOLKKI: THE NEW BOOK AND TOLKKI.COM (20.06.08) (1 comment)
- TIMO TOLKKI Slams STRATOVARIUS' Current Lineup For 'Pissing On My Music And Art' (15.06.09) (12 comments)
- Former STRATOVARIUS Members Rejoin Forces In PROJECT STRATO (09.05.09) (1 comment)
- TIMO TOLKKI: REVOLUTION RENAISSANCE Drummer Announced (12.05.08)
- TIMO TOLKKI: Touring South-America with "Music Beyond Infinity"-workshop. New Myspace page available. (02.10.09) (4 comments)