KORPIKLAANI to Release 'Manala' in August
09.05.2012 | Source: www.blabbermouth.net
Finnish traditional folk metal pioneers KORPIKLAANI will release their eighth studio album, "Manala", on August 3 via Nuclear Blast Records.
Commented KORPIKLAANI vocalist/guitarist Jonne Järvelä: "'Manala' is the realm of the dead — the underworld in Finnish mythology. Tuonela, Tuoni, Manala and Mana are used synonymously. This place is best known for its appearance in the Finnish national epic Kalevala, on which many of our new songs are based. In the 16th poem of Kalevala, Väinämöinen, a shamanistic hero travels to Manala to seek for knowledge about the dead. On the journey he meets the ferrywoman (similar to Charon), a girl, Tuonen tytti, or Tuonen piika (Death's maid), who takes him across the river of Tuoni. However, on the isle of Tuoni he is not given the spells he was originally looking for and he barely manages to escape the place. After his return he curses anyone trying to enter the place alive."
For those of you who are now afraid of not being able to understand the mystical Finnish lyrics on the album, don't worry: "Manala" will come to you with a bonus CDcontaining the whole album with English lyrics!
"Metsälle", a new song from KORPIKLAANI, is available for streaming in the YouTube clip below. The track can also be downloaded for free at NuclearBlast.de (e-mail sign-up required).
"Metsälle" was originally recorded late last year when the band was competing to represent Finland in the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest. The track will appear on KORPIKLAANI's forthcoming eighth album.
Commented KORPIKLAANI's Jonne Järvelä: "'Metsälle' can be seen as kind of a prayer to the ancient gods to ask for luck for the tough hunt deep in the woods in cold winter time. Not only is the old man in the song praying for success but — even more importantly — for a safe way through the dangerous frostiness."
KORPIKLAANI previously stated that "Metsälle" "is about the hunt on Hiisi's magical moose in the Northland. He (Lemminkäinen) puts on his charmed ski's and takes off for a prolonged hunt through forests and meadows, marshlands and woodlands, rapids and rivers. This song describes part of the Kalevala story, the national epic of Finland."
"Manala" will mark the recording debut of the band's new fiddler, Tuomas Rounakari.
KORPIKLAANI's latest CD, "Ukon Wacka", was released in North America on February 25, 2011 via Nuclear Blast Records.
Latest Korpiklaani news
- KORPIKLAANI Announce European Tour (28.03.13)
- KORPIKLAANI Accordion Player Juho Kauppinen - ´I Have Decided To Set My Goals Elsewhere´ (14.03.13)
- KORPIKLAANI Bassist Interviewed In Italy (Video) (20.02.13)
- KORPIKLAANI - New Video Interview With Bassist Jarkko Aaltonen Online (05.02.13)
- KORPIKLAANI Announce Second Leg Of Manala European Tour 2013 (15.01.13)
- KORPIKLAANI - Video Interview With Bassist Jarkko Aaltonen Online (29.11.12)
- KORPIKLAANI - New Interview Available (09.10.12)
- KORPIKLAANI: New Video Interview With JARKKO AALTONEN (18.09.12)
- KORPIKLAANI: New Audio Interview Posted Online (18.09.12)
- KORPIKLAANI - "Fuck Off British Airways, Seriously, Fuck Off" (26.08.12)
Most popular from Korpiklaani
- KORPIKLAANI: Interviewed by MFF. Jonne talks about Finnish Fire-tour and forthcoming album (09.10.08)
- KORPIKLAANI: Artwork for their new album 'KARKELO' revealed (09.04.09) (12 comments)
- KORPIKLAANI - Gearing Up For North American Paganfest Tour, Recording New Album In 2010 (01.01.10) (3 comments)
- KORPIKLAANI: Horns Up festival in Spain confirmed (07.05.07)
- KORPIKLAANI: Tracklist for 'Karkelo' revealed (23.04.09)
- KORPIKLAANI: 'Vodka' Video Released (11.06.09) (2 comments)
- KORPIKLAANI: "Tales along this road" t-shirts back in stock! (03.05.07)
- KORPIKLAANI - 'Ukon Wacka' Guest Vocalist Tuomari Nurmio Makes Live Appearance In Helsinki; Video Available (04.03.11)
- KORPIKLAANI - Frontman Jonne Järvelä Selling Amfisound Custom Guitars (08.11.09) (1 comment)
- KORPIKLAANI, BATTLELORE, KIVIMETSÄN DRUIDI, FALCHION: 'Finnish Fire' Tour Dates Announced (22.07.08)